Monday, January 14, 2008

Be still …

“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth.” ~Psalm 46:10


Be still …

I don’t believe it happens very often, but sometimes the Lord forces stillness upon us. In June of 2004, we received word of our acceptance as missionaries with a major mission sending organization. We planned to serve in West Africa, and at the end of that July we went to Florida to attend new member training.

The two-week course was a frenzy of activity in its own right, but on top of that, I was struggling with the turmoil brought on by years of depression, coupled inharmoniously with the stress of impending life changes and the shock of my brother’s recent cancer diagnosis. I was drowning, and though I didn’t recognize it as such at the time, God threw me the life preserver I needed.

Be still. Since January, God had been orchestrating the circumstances with precision. Now, he was stopping us abruptly in our tracks. Be still. It was difficult, even humiliating at times, but the Lord was definitely working for our good. Be still. When the decision came that we would step down from active service, before we had ever even started, mind you, I really struggled with feelings of guilt. Frustrated, I began to argue with God:

* * * * * * * * *

How can you do this?? You brought us here! Why did you bring us to this point only to stand in the intersection of our lives and blow the whistle?

Shhhhh …. Be still … and know that I am God.

But, what about the mission field? Now it’s going to take so much longer

… if we ever get there at all!

Don’t you worry about that. I will still be exalted in the nations.

Now is the time for your healing. Be still …

* * * * * * * * *

Turns out, he didn’t need our help. We needed His.

And we are grateful that he loved us enough to force it upon us.

Be still ...

3 comments :

  1. Our God is SO GOOD and SO MERCIFUL! I rejoice with you that HE LOVES YOU SO MUCH! Enough to make you be still and be healed. Enough to lead you into new opportunities to serve Him! He is FAITHFUL - an ever present companion on your life journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, glad I found you -will link you on mine. Thanks for your faithfulnes to God here for this season. we love you guys. amy b

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful for God's calling on your lives, but I will be so sorry to see you go.

    ReplyDelete



We are missionaries serving God and the task of Bible translation by serving the missionary community in Papua New Guinea through Personnel Administration and MK Education. We thank you for your prayers!



For the Bibleless Peoples of the World ...


(Updated 13 April 2013)